Monday, February 11, 2008

Author Visits Grade 6&7

June 1, 2007

On Friday, 1 June, the Grade 6 and 7 classes listened to powerpoint presentations about being a writer from visiting author Karmel Schreyer, who lives in Hong Kong. The message of her talk, as she showed examples from her own published books, was that everyone has the potential to write, using their own life experience. Ms. Schreyer, as well as being a writer, is the daghter of a well-respected former Governor-General of Canada, The Honourable Edward Schreyer, and she was able to weave tales of what life was like as a teenager, under the spotlight of public scrutiny, having people like the Queen of England stay at their home. She was very encouraging to her listeners and we were grateful to her for coming over to Macau.

A “Thank You Note” to the students of TIS from Karmel Schreyer:
I want to tell you how much I enjoyed my visit with you and your teachers on 1 June. It is said that people fear public speaking more than anything, so I can tell you that when the audience is as receptive and attentive as yourselves, the speaker feels very grateful. I think about students such as yourselves a lot; in fact it is a running theme in many of my books: the global nomad, third culture ‘kid' - mobile young people who are familiar with the world in a way that I (and many of your teachers I'll bet) could never be. I'll remind you that you are a part of the world's fast-growing youth subculture. Enjoy what all that offers, and remem-ber: Today is where your books begins.

Very best wishes,
Karmel
www.karmelschreyer.com

No comments: